Ministry: Prime Ministers
Running to Be: Prime Minister
Salam Yamout is the Regional Director, Middle East for the Internet Society since November 2016. Salam holds an MBA from ESCP-EAP, Paris / Ecole Supérieure des Affaires, Beirut in 2005 and an M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Arizona (Tucson, USA) in 1987.
She has been a professional in the field of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) for 25 years, and her work experience includes networking and telecommunications infrastructure; Oracle database administration; design and architecture of large IT systems; ERP implementation; procurement of IT systems; Internet governance; legal and regulatory aspects of ICT; and ICT public policy and planning. In short, she has managed and implemented technology-based solutions for the public and private sectors and society at large.
- Salam is a social entrepreneur and volunteers her time to several NGOs and causes.
- She sits on the boards of Women in IT, the Lebanese League of Women in Business, and MIT Enterprise Forum Arab Business Plan Competition.
- Founded several organizations and initiatives in the past such as the Internet Society Lebanon Chapter, the Lebanese Internet Center, and the Lebanese Broadband Stakeholders Group.
- Was the National ICT Strategy Coordinator at the Presidency of the Council of Ministers since July 2010 handling the EU, innovation and ICT portfolios.
- Between 2005 and 2010, Salam worked for Cisco Systems where she was Program Manager for Corporate Social Responsibility. It was during her assignment as manager of the “Partnership for Lebanon” project that she set up the first Internet Exchange Point of Lebanon in 2008 (www.beirutix.net).